Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Knees closer up, rear seat inspection hatches

So earlier this month I neglected to show some closer up pictures of the knees and the breasthook.  Here they are.  You may notice that I chose to not stylize the knees in any fashion, as other Goat Island Skiff's do.  I am a big fan of straight lines, utilitarianism, and functionality.  (Also WPA artwork and air travel posters from the early 20th century, for very much the same reasons.)  Curvy knees and breasthooks are nice, but I don't think they deliver the straightforwardness I enjoy in design.  Obviously, this is personal preference.  Curvy knees can look fantastic.  The stem in the bow will be cleaned up at some point, maybe a small cover.



Today I also added the locations of my inspections ports.  I have chosen an 8" Beckson screw-in inspection port for easy ingress and egress of larger items.  The smaller 6" port is for access to the rudder gudgeon fittings.  It is off-center due to the seat cleat that runs down the middle of the compartment from BH4 to the transom.  This could have been circumnavigated had I thought about it beforehand, but I didn't, so this is what I get.  Not the end of the world.

Finally, a quick look on how I glued the knees in place:  Two tape covered shims held in place by clamps for vertical support, and the clamp just to weight it up against the side of the hull.  Not too much weight is needed, because the knee could slide up, also, if it's beveled correctly it won't slide down.

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your progress!

    I like your approach to keeping things simple. The Goat is one of those boats where the beauty is in its very simplicity, and it always seems to look good from any angle. Adornments are unnecessary and fancy the goat need not be.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete