Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My big day

Today was quite the day. I'm over my cold, as in, I don't feel like super-crap anymore, but my head and chest are still congested to hell and back. However, since I'm slowly on the up and up, off to the basement for a little R+R.

Last night I realized that I had beveled the bottom of BH1 in the wrong direction. Today I fixed this by re-beveling it flat, and just leaving it as such until later. If I have to bevel it in the correct direction, so be it. It's only 2mm so it's not too tricky.

Second, I found this:

Delamination in the ply on my Starboard bow, inboard. Approximately 4"x6" or so. Nothing on the "mated" side, the Port stern, so I'm assuming it is only this piece that has the problem. I sounded it out with a pencil, and I've got a good idea of its shape. I poured straight epoxy into the hole, then squashed it with bricks.

Third, I discovered this:


That's my finger pointing at where the bow SHOULD be. OOPS. I'm slowly coming along with the dreaded stem, and I went to match the stem to the bow and it came up a couple of cm short. Either my stem was wrong or my bow was wrong. I busted out the lofting map for the sides and for some damn reason, I measured 55mm from the end of the ply to the point of the bow rather than 55mm from the last 300mm mark. Damn, bro, good catch! So I re-marked the bow and cut them anew on both sides. The stem fits perfectly now, with room to spare for the bow knee.

Then, I got gutsy and ripped two of my cedar planks and and scarfed them for the chinelogs:

This is my scarf. Some of you are really going to hate this, but I eyeballed it on the table saw, and then planed them to match. Not perfect, but close enough for this amateur! I used a 1:6 ratio, so that would be 1 1/2" : 9".

THEN, I cut out the buttstraps and glued my scarfed chinelogs and my side together!


Here we are now in the garage. The buttstrap gluing kinda blew, I was by myself and I rushed it. I was sure I put on enough glue, but very little actually oozed out from underneath the straps. I'm actually a little concerned I may not have put enough, but maybe I put just the right amount, I tend to go overboard with the glue. So we'll have to see about this.

Finally, I glued on a little piece of ply for backing on the transom for el rudder. That's Spanish. That in itself was a mini-adventure, because the ply I chose for it initially starting sliding around after I glued it up on the old epoxy from the frame and the seat cleat. WOOPS. So I pulled it off quick, tore apart the garbage for an old jigsaw blade, and holding the jigsaw an inch above the ply ripped a small piece of one end so it could sit better between the frame and the cleat. Of course I got wood dust all over the backing, and I scraped it off, threw on some thickened epoxy, and called it good. I thought this would have been a simple operation, so I didn't wear gloves and holey moley my hands got sticky.

On a blog-related note, I am deleting the timing scoreboard from the blog. It's beginning to get inaccurate and more difficult to keep up with. Today I did a million things and I'm not keen on attempting to figure out what was what. So maybe from now on just a tally total.

1 comment:

  1. Wrong bevel-- Worst case scenario is that you would glue a piece of wood on it to extend and bevel it again.

    Scarfing-- The complexity is overrated. As long as you plane both of them at the same time, you cannot get them wrong. Euclid got that figured out many years ago.

    Just relax and enjoy the process....

    ReplyDelete